STAPLE PIECES AND ALTERATIONS


Do you want the classic, timeless, look or to have an interesting sense of style? Investing in staple pieces that are of good quality is a great place to start.  

Quality takes into consideration the materials they are made of and the value of their stitching and seams so it would be good to focus on pieces that are made of great fabric and texture.

Here are a few Staple Pieces you will want in your wardrobe

Coats 

Blazers

Blouses

Trousers

Black, white, and navy are always elegant colors when properly fitted. 

Pieces will look best when tailored to your body. If you find a great tailor, be sure to leave them a great review. However, with some practice, you can tailor too.

If you want a  professional and polished look, you can pay a tailor or DIY it with the use of a sewing machine, cutting table, thread, and fasteners. 

I mentioned in a previous post that my mom designed my clothes when I was young and my mother-in-law taught sewing in 4-H. There was a lot of sewing around me and yes I practiced on many items and still do occasionally alter my clothing. 

I like experimenting with used clothing. If I see an item that is larger than my size I may purchase it and cut it down and sew it up. 

Test before altering your clothes, and measure and preview the fit. You can preview by using tailor’s chalk and pinning the garment where you plan to sew.

Lock in your stitches so they will last also called “backstitching”. To backstitch, sew a few straight stitches forward, and then press the button on your machine to sew in reverse.

Once you have your clothing fitted and cleaned - ironing or steaming are important too. When this is complete you can dress the outfit up in jewelry, scarves, hat,  handbag, and a good pair of shoes and/ or wear stylish sunglasses.


Thanks for reading today! Fall is just around the corner.