LACE AND APPLIQUE EMBELISHMENTS

I don't know about you but I tune into period drama series to check out the costumes as I have a fondness for lace and appliqué.

The art of adding lace and appliqué is not new! Lace was first developed in Europe during the sixteenth centuryApplique' was derived from the French appliquer, “to put on”. Both are often used to embellish clothing or household linens. 

Among the most memorable period series for me is Downton Abbey. The fashions of  Actress Dame Maggie Smith, Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham lured me to return to the series countless times as I have always been attracted to the Edwardian style - such as the costume Maggie Smith wore for the garden party in episode 5 & 7. I also adored the vines and blocks that were focal points on other textiles namely the quilts and pillows. Photo courtesy of  Lucrezia Carnelos


photo courtesy of Evangelina Silina 

If you are new to applique and  want to try your hand at it

  1. Choose a design to appliqué ( in some cases fusible web can be used) 
  2. Cut around your traced piece 
  3. Cut Out Your Template
  4. Secure Your Appliqué 
  5. Stitch on any extra embellishments
There are many textiles adorned with lace and appliques. And my favorite use for them is on Garden Party Dresses. It seems most fitting one would wear proper attire to the summer social function though the delicacy of handwork and filmy flounces is sure to compete with the delicacy of the florals displayed there.


Thanks so much for reading today!