CASUAL, BUSINESS, FORMAL OPTIONS

Have you ever spent a half-hour trying on different outfits before you are ready?

At times getting dressed can require considerable effort and time. 

Wouldn't it be great to wake up and have the perfect outfit nearby so you didn't have to waste your time figuring out what to wear?

Well, this is where knowing what type of atmosphere (occasion and place)  you are going to be in comes into play.


Is it Casual, Business Casual, or Formal? 


Casual is the dress code I most often wear. It can be defined as relaxed or not planned. It includes a very wide variety of outfits and fabrics. Some of these include cotton, denim, flannel, jersey, and polyester.

I would consider my outfit above to be casual as it is unplanned and cozy. I paired a Briggs New York camel-colored blazer with a black cotton shirt, jeans, and boots. The majority of boots I own are casual attire though I have seen some with heels and pointed toes that I would consider to be business casual and could be worn with formal wear.

Business casual 

Business casual Outfits are often thought of in terms of the colors tan, gray, black, navy, white, brown, and beige.

My go-to business casual's typically a black, gray, or beige pants suit or skirt with a white blouse. Occasionally, I change up the patterns or wear a scarf with the outfit. For shoes, I  wear low heel pumps or flats. At one time, I had a collection of penny loafers with the Tassel Bow. I found them to be comfortable office shoes.

When thinking about business casual we think of slacks,  pants, or knee-length skirts such as a pencil or A-line skirt. A blouse or an attractive sweater. Blazer, jacket, or cardigan. Professional dress-knee-length. Hosiery or tights. Professional-looking shoes. Flat or heeled closed-toed,  such as loafers, oxfords, pumps, or heeled boots. Open-toed shoes might be an option in some business casual workplaces. Accessories scarves, belts, or jewelry.


Formal


I seldom get the opportunity to wear formal wear anymore as I consider it to be for ceremonial events or if I go somewhere like the symphony. When I do attend such an event, I typically wear a velvet dress and like to pair it up with pearls. 

Velvet is made from fibers such as cotton, linen, mohair, and wool. It can be made from all silk but that is often above my budget. 

I also like to wear other dressy materials that include lace or beaded bodice. 

Other options. One could wear a  brocade, chiffon, lace, satin, or silk dress or pantsuit.

Thanks for reading! I enjoy reading all your emails and comments. Do you believe dress codes have relaxed significantly in the past decade?