IMPERFECT REFLECTION


When I was a teenager, I thought power dressing was going to a fitting room and having the sales clerk present you with a collection of top-of-the-line dresses and suits. 

You know that sophisticated kind much like one of the Carrington's would wear. (If you are not familiar with the Carrington's they appeared on television's Dynasty series from January 1981- May 1989.)  

Back then, I imagined life was hectic for the rich and famous as well as for myself. Those Carrington ladies appeared streamlined and well-tailored. As if they just received a custom-fitting with the Italian design house. I visualized that prior to entering a carefully disinfected fitting room each lady was offered assistance stepping into her clothing. She would pause in front of a well-stretched mirror and look at a reflection that was not quite her own. Soon after, she'd exit the dressing room poised and ready to conquer the world. As she departed, the sales clerk would be so awestruck that she'd feel the need to bow.  And if the clerk blinked, she may have perceived the ensemble floated into the room before the Carrington. 

When in high-pressure situations, I recognize power dressing is about wearing what makes you feel confident so you can remain positive and calm. And curating a wardrobe is always fun! 

At present, I  am in high spirits when I open my closet door.  Most of the pieces are what I would call likable and buildable.  Life is all right in my mid 50's. I have scars that are unique. I attempt to avoid self-inflicted criticism and instead practice self-compassion. I've stopped comparing myself to others and smile as I open my eyes and view my imperfect reflection

Thanks for reading! I enjoy your emails and comments. What do you like best about being over 50?