LONG HAIR AFTER 50

It seems us women are obsessed with hair and I know many women my age who have their own hair stories.  The long and short of my hair story is I love short hair! My mother has short hair, and my aunts and cousins all have short hair. 

I love beautiful bouncy hair. I swam a lot when younger and followed my peer's trends.  A wash-and-wear hairstyle meant I didn't have to pull my hair up into my Speedo Lyrca cap. 

When I was in 4th grade I got the Dorothy Hamill haircut. Dorothy was the 1976 Olympic champion and 1976 World champion in ladies' singles. She was someone all us girls looked up to. However, soon after getting the cut, I realized that while I  loved short hair on Hamill and those around me, I did not like it on myself. After a short time, I  grew my wedge cut out.

I entered high school in the 1980s. Big hair was all the rage. I recall going into the restroom and being surrounded by a group of girls that were teasing their hair-exaggerating it,  so it looked as if it had wings and could fly.  They were spraying it stiff with  Faberge’s Aqua Net.

While they were expressing themselves with hair that appeared to warrant its own flight path, I was busy doing everything  I possibly could to achieve a more curly look.
I entered high school in the 1980s. Big hair was all the rage. I recall going into the restroom and being surrounded by a group of girls that were teasing their hair-exaggerating it,  so it looked as if it had wings and could fly.  They were spraying it stiff with  Faberge’s Aqua Net. While they were expressing themselves with hair that appeared to warrant its own flight path, I was busy doing everything  I possibly could to achieve a more curly look
My passion for curly hair lasted throughout my 20's-30's. And, I kept my hair curly with perms or crimping and curling. 

In my forty's, my hair was falling out rapidly and I learned the reason for this had to do with my thyroid disease. I've always been told older women should not have long hair. I found the longer my hair gets the easier it is to work with. I can wear it down. Braid it. Put it up in a bun. Pull it back in a tail or pigtails. Sometimes I pull it to the side in a clip or leave it to hang as shown in the top photo. 

My hair is long and much thinner than when I was young. I've been using biotin shampoo to strengthen it. I thought about my hair while watching the movie I Am Woman.  I have surrendered to long hair for now. A woman should wear her hair – the way she wants! 


My top 3 audiences today are from the United States, Germany, and Argentina


Thanks for reading! What hair products have you benefited from most?